'
nav-left cat-right
cat-right

Cheesecake with a chocolate crust |

cheesecakeBaked cheesecakes have been irresistible to me since I first had a slice in New York 24 years ago and this recipe, which has a chocolate biscuit base and creamy texture that includes condensed milk is just what the doctor ordered when you need a distraction.

What you need

1 packet chocolate digestive biscuits
100g butter melted
3 cups cream cheese
2 tins condensed milk (Nestle)
125ml lemon juice (from a bottle is just fine)
4 tablespoons custard powder
2 tablespoons vanilla essence
250ml whipping cream

The process

Crumble the biscuits into a bowl, pour in the melted butter and mix together.

Pour the mixture into a spring form cake tin and press down firmly, covering the base with an even layer about 1cm thick.

In a bowl whip the cream to a firm consistency and set aside.

In another bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and combine until they are uniformly mixed. Then add the whipped cream and fold it in gently with a metal spoon to distribute evenly.

Pour the whole lot into the tin, smooth the top and bake in the middle of a 180 Celsius oven for ½ an hour.

Remove from the oven and allow it to cool. Take a knife and run it around the edge before releasing sides of the tin.

That’s it, serve with a fruit coulis or cream or both!

Bad breath getting you down? There is a solution! >>

35 Responses to “Cheesecake with a chocolate crust”

1. Dianne says:

Hi Graham

Just want to check the cooking time for this cheesecake – half an hour sounds very little.

After cooling, when I removed the rim of the springform tin, my whole cheesecake fell apart.

Must I maybe put in fridge first to set completely before removing tin.

Please help – want to try this one again, but expensive and want to make sure it works out.

Thanks

2. Saniya says:

Hey Graham,
    I used this recipe and the cheesecake turned out delicious. The condensed milk was slightly overpowering though. The only dissatisfaction I experienced was regarding the texture. This cheesecake is REALLY creamy and I prefer firm ones. Will adding more custard powder and/or baking for a couple of minutes longer make it more firm? If yes, then how much custard powder should I add and how long should I bake it for? Also, can I use a combination of eggs and custard powder? If yes, then in what proportion? Thank you so much!

3. Judith says:

Hi Graham, I love baking… but for the first time I am going to attempt making cheesecake as I only discovered its tantalizing taste +- 3mnths ago. I read somewhere that you can get a no-bake recipe. Do you perhaps have such a recipe and also… the cheesecake I was a double layered (vanilla bottom & chocolate top) how do I do that.

4. Saniya says:

750 ml cream cheese? shouldn’t it be 750 grams cream cheese? kindly clear this confusion as im really dying to make this!

5. Sukeena says:

Hi. How long can one keep this cheesecake in the fridge? I would like to make this for a very special occasion but would like to make it the night before. What would you suggest? Thanks 🙂

6. fathima says:

this is just too goooood

7. Lize says:

WOW, This is really different, I am a big fan of making cheese cake because it is so easy to make, I’ll try this one during the weekend

8. Shaun says:

I have been looking for something nice to make this weekend and I think I just found that something. Great recipes thanks

9. KimdaCook says:

Heavenly Graham, I am not a fan of the baked cheese cake but this does sound so simple and i just love the chocolate base something completely different.

10. Stacey says:

Hi

Haven’t tried the cheesecake with chocolate crust – just wanted to check – does it really require 2 tablespoons of vanilla essence?